Springtime in Sweden

by mo on 04/26/2011

Never have I been so happy (or surprised!) for spring.

Sweden in the spring is magical. (Allegedly, summer is even better, but I won’t be able to report on that.)

In the last two to three weeks, the sun has come out, the trees have blossomed, the weather has warmed up to a balmy 20 degrees…and most importantly, everyone has gone into permanent spring picnic mode.

Every piece of grass or bench or seat outside in Stortorget is covered with PEOPLE. If it’s the weekend, they’re sitting in the park, drinking (see: Valborg, this Saturday), otherwise they’re just sitting outside. On big rocks, overlooking Stockholm, until 9 PM when it finally starts to think about getting dark.

It has become our full-time job to enjoy the weather.

Actually, I totally forgot spring was coming.

It’s not that the winter in Skåne was even that bad. Since January, it was consistently 0 degrees and grey — not that cold, by my standards. I never even used my heaviest jacket once. But when I arrived, everything was covered in grey ice, the sky was grey, the sun set at 4 PM, and it never even got totally light out.

I got so used to the consistently dreary weather (2.5 months straight of exactly the same weather?) that spring seemed like something that only happens in other countries, like SUVs, carpeting, and hip-hop.

But then it happened, almost overnight. All term, I’ve had Swedish class from 5-7:30 PM — it used to be dark long before I even walked to class. Suddenly, now it’s light for hours after I come home.

The whole country is in SUCH A GOOD MOOD.

And oh man, the grilling. It’s been going on for WEEKS. Grilling is big here. Like, constant 4th of July-mode level big.

(Actually, I think we jumped the gun on the grilling a little bit — it was an odd experience to stand around in the light at 8 PM, grilling a pineapple, in my winter coat.)

(Yes, you can grill pineapples.)

It’s no accident that Easter break is happening now, followed a week later by Valborg. After 9 months of winter, we have earned the right to enjoy the weather.

As my friend Polly says, “I now understand why ancient cultures worshipped the sun.”

The sun is here and it’s time to celebrate.

I think spring celebration is something I was missing out on in the US. I mean, we occasionally would sit on the quad, and I remember quite a few pleasant warm evenings eating pizza on apartment balconies, feet up. But Japan has hanami, Sweden has Valborg… I am missing the American equivalent here.

Then again, maybe it’s because Illinois has exactly 1.5 days of good weather before we go into hot&humid or tornado mode, or maybe it’s because spending more than an hour outside means my allergies will cause my immune system to self-destruct.

Point is, byebye seasonal affective disorder, hello a month straight of chilling outside. The music festival Popadelica wrote in a recent Facebook status, “Förresten, sa vi att vi bokat solen till Popadelica 2011 också? Det har vi.” (“Btw, did we mention we’ve booked the sun for Popadelica 2011? Well we did.”) NICE.

Only bummed that I’m leaving too soon for midsommar and the midnight sun…

204792_208403849179728_100000303433684_713783_7338053_o.jpg

218353_208404219179691_100000303433684_713796_1538142_o.jpg

210597_208403439179769_100000303433684_713770_3050427_o (1).jpg

playstructure.jpg

There are 71 comments in this article:

1. 12/09/2021yeezy 350 v2 says:

I’m commenting to make you be aware of of the awesome discovery my friend’s daughter found viewing the blog. She realized too many pieces, with the inclusion of what it is like to have a very effective coaching nature to let a number of people with no trouble understand chosen grueling subject areas. You undoubtedly surpassed her desires. Many thanks for imparting the valuable, healthy, revealing and in addition fun tips on the topic to Mary.

2. 12/09/2021bape clothing says:

I’m writing to make you know what a excellent experience our daughter developed studying your webblog. She discovered too many pieces, which included how it is like to have an excellent teaching nature to make men and women clearly grasp certain advanced topics. You really surpassed visitors’ desires. Thank you for offering such necessary, healthy, educational and even fun tips on this topic to Kate.

3. 12/09/2021jordan shoes says:

My husband and i felt so joyful that Louis could finish up his studies through the entire ideas he acquired when using the web pages. It’s not at all simplistic to just happen to be releasing tactics which usually other people have been selling. And we fully grasp we have the blog owner to give thanks to for that. The illustrations you made, the simple website menu, the friendships you can assist to promote – it’s got all incredible, and it is helping our son and our family understand that theme is entertaining, and that is tremendously important. Thanks for all!

4. 12/09/2021Ivixge says:

stromectol generic name – stromectol oral ivermectin pills canada

5. 13/09/2021Jenwsc says:

buy prednisone 50 mg – prednisone 20 mg without prescription buy 40 mg prednisone

6. 14/09/2021lebron 17 says:

I wish to express my appreciation to the writer for rescuing me from this particular dilemma. After scouting through the the net and meeting solutions which were not helpful, I thought my entire life was over. Being alive devoid of the answers to the issues you have sorted out as a result of your main site is a critical case, as well as those that might have in a wrong way damaged my entire career if I had not noticed your web page. Your personal capability and kindness in handling the whole thing was very useful. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t come across such a step like this. It’s possible to at this moment look forward to my future. Thank you very much for the high quality and amazing help. I won’t hesitate to endorse your web page to any person who needs and wants guidance on this matter.

7. 14/09/2021golden goose outlet says:

I precisely wanted to say thanks again. I’m not certain the things that I could possibly have worked on without the actual creative ideas provided by you over my area of interest. Previously it was a very traumatic issue in my circumstances, but viewing the very professional style you solved that forced me to weep with gladness. Now i am happy for the information and even sincerely hope you comprehend what a great job that you’re putting in teaching some other people using a site. Most likely you haven’t met all of us.

8. 14/09/2021buy liquid ivermectin says:

ivermectin australia ivermectin price usa

9. 14/09/2021Ogwatb says:

order furosemide online – lasixonline can i order furosemide

10. 16/09/2021Gimmtx says:

generic ventolin – ventolin uk price cost of ventolin in usa

11. 16/09/2021golden goose says:

I precisely wanted to thank you very much once again. I’m not certain the things that I would’ve worked on without the actual ideas revealed by you regarding such industry. It was an absolute frightening difficulty in my view, nevertheless considering the very expert mode you solved the issue made me to weep over fulfillment. I am just thankful for this support as well as hope you recognize what a great job you happen to be getting into educating people using your web blog. More than likely you have never got to know any of us.

12. 16/09/2021curry 7 says:

Thank you for every one of your effort on this web page. Ellie really loves going through investigation and it’s easy to understand why. Many of us learn all regarding the dynamic way you present both useful and interesting ideas through the web blog and in addition invigorate participation from other people on that topic so our daughter is truly becoming educated a lot. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the new year. You’re the one performing a useful job.

13. 16/09/2021ivermectin tablets says:

order stromectol ivermectin 2mg

14. 17/09/2021Eghicd says:

cytotec pill – cytotec online india cheap cytotec pills

15. 18/09/2021bape hoodie says:

I and also my buddies happened to be examining the best key points from your website and all of a sudden got a terrible feeling I never thanked you for those secrets. These ladies were absolutely glad to read through all of them and have in effect in fact been taking pleasure in them. I appreciate you for getting simply considerate as well as for using this sort of impressive subject matter most people are really desirous to understand about. My personal sincere regret for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

16. 18/09/2021ivermectin lotion for lice says:

stromectol price buy stromectol online

17. 18/09/2021Qqcmja says:

doxycycline online india – prednisolone purchase uk prednisolone 20 mg

18. 19/09/2021Qyppes says:

ivermectin 2 – ivermectin price uk ivermectin india

19. 20/09/2021supreme says:

My wife and i have been joyous when Raymond could round up his studies through the entire precious recommendations he came across from your very own weblog. It’s not at all simplistic to simply happen to be releasing things other people have been trying to sell. And we take into account we now have the website owner to give thanks to for this. The type of illustrations you have made, the simple web site navigation, the friendships you will help to promote – it is many fabulous, and it’s really making our son in addition to our family believe that the article is enjoyable, and that is truly fundamental. Thank you for the whole lot!

20. 20/09/2021kobe 9 says:

I want to express thanks to the writer just for rescuing me from such a setting. After browsing throughout the world-wide-web and finding methods which were not pleasant, I assumed my life was over. Living without the strategies to the difficulties you have sorted out by way of your blog post is a critical case, and ones which could have in a wrong way affected my entire career if I hadn’t encountered your blog post. That competence and kindness in taking care of all the things was excellent. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t come across such a solution like this. I’m able to at this point look ahead to my future. Thank you very much for your reliable and results-oriented guide. I won’t be reluctant to propose your web site to anyone who requires guidelines on this subject.

21. 21/09/2021Kqfjsk says:

ivermectin purchase – ivermectin india ivermectin without a doctor prescription

Write a comment: